Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Black Bean Burrito Bake

Burritos as big as your...foot? // Instagram @kguymon
God, how I love the fact that the sun is out an hour later than normal. Matt got home in time to take Aves on a quick walk around our 'hood, and that gave me just enough time to whip up tonight's dinner. Gotta say, I was feeling pretty proud of the fact that I was able to get our black bean burrito bake (say that five times fast) on the table so we could eat together. That doesn't happen around here very often. Granted, my daughter poked at her rice and only ate a few bites of banana, but we sat together, gosh darnit.

So, I took a risk and upped the number of chilis in the stuffing mixture from one to two, and unless both you and your dinner guests were born as fire breathing dragons (like me), I don't recommend that rebellious move. Matt had smoke coming out of his ears, but he assured me that this recipe is a keeper. I concur.


Black Bean Burrito Bake [adapted from My Recipes]

-1 7 oz. can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce 
-1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt 
-1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed, drained, and divided 
-1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
-4 8-inch whole wheat tortillas 
-1 cup salsa
-1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Remove one chile from can. Chop chile. Reserve remaining adobo sauce and chiles for another use. Combine Greek yogurt and chile in a medium bowl; let stand 10 minutes.

3. Place half of beans in a food processor with a little water; process until finely chopped. Add chopped beans, remaining beans, and corn to the Greek yogurt mixture.

4. Spoon 1/2 cup bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas; place, seam side down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread salsa over tortillas; sprinkle with cheese.

5. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

No comments: