Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes

Photo by Katie Guymon

Last weekend, after a long work week filled with parent-teacher conferences, I traveled to my parents' house for two days of sitting and doing a lot of nothing. And, oh yeah, eating. Lots of eating.

My friend Nikki passed this Martha Stewart recipe for pumpkin pancakes on to me at the beginning of October, and all I had to do was give my mom a couple of "pretty pleases" so she'd make them for me. Nikki warned that we'd have to up the ante on the pumpkin puree if we wanted a noticeable pumpkin flavor, so the recipe below is exactly how Jude made the pancakes last Sunday.

They make me so very happy. I'm so glad they came into my life. 

Pumpkin Pancakes [adapted from Martha Stewart]
-1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
-2 tablespoons sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
-pinch of ground cloves
-1 cup milk
-10-12 tablespoons pumpkin puree (depending on your personal love of pumpkin)
-2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg

1. Whisk first eight ingredients together in a large bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients.

3. Fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.

4. Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat. Use 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes about 3-4 minutes per side until batter is cooked through.

No comments: