Monday, July 15, 2013

Israeli Couscous Tabbouleh

Photo by Katie Guymon

Is it weird to tell you that I find Israeli couscous to be the cutest food item around? I mean, they are such teensy little plumpers. (Plumpers? I dunno. I made that up.) Avery calls them "bubbles." She's got the right idea.

After becoming transfixed with the photograph of this beautiful salad in my most recent issue of Bon Appétit, I decided to make it for myself. I served it alongside steaks with chimichurri sauce

And even though it's semi-difficult to eat this couscous tabblouleh because it's so freaking adorable, you'll get over it really fast. I did.

Note: if you want to do a more traditional tabbouleh, here's a great recipe that uses bulgar wheat and grilled sweet peppers.

Israeli Couscous Tabbouleh [adapted from Bon Appétit 
-1 1/2 cups of Israeli couscous 
-1 small shallot, finely chopped 
-1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil 
-fresh juice of two lemons
-1 English hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, finely chopped 
-3 cups cherry tomatoes, yellow and red, halved 
-2 tablespoons of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 
-2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint 
-kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

1. Cook couscous according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water to keep the couscous from sticking together and drain well.

2. Whisk shallot, oil, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a large bowl. Add couscous, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, and mint; season with salt, pepper, and the rest of the lemon juice and toss to combine.

Note: if you'd like to make this a day ahead, don't add the herbs until you're ready to serve. 

No comments: