|Photo by Katie Guymon|
Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Quiche
-1 Pillsbury pre-made pie crust
-2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
-1 tablespoon of olive oil
-1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
-1 cup thinly sliced red onion
-10 ounces thinly sliced button mushrooms
-2 teaspoons of fresh thyme
-1 teaspoon of minced garlic
-1 teaspoons of salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon
-1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
-1/2 cup of heavy cream
-6 large eggs
-1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg
-1 1/2 ounces of grated Gruyere, plus 1 1/2 ounces
1. Bake pre-made pie crust according to the package instructions.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Set a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat, and add the butter and olive oil. Once the butter is melted, add the yellow and red onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and garlic to the pan and season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Cook the onions and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture has cooked out of the mushrooms and they are caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes before placing in the pie crust.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the heavy cream, eggs, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the nutmeg and whisk until just combined. Stir 1 1/2 ounces of the grated cheese, then pour the cream mixture over the onion mixture, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over top.
5. Place the pie dish on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake until golden brown, and the custard has set, 35 to 40 minutes.