Sunday, April 17, 2011

Grilled Tuna with Pineapple Salsa

The last two Sundays have felt marvelously like summer. Couple that with the fact that my husband decided to give up red meat for Lent (don't ask me why, it's not like he was eating a cow a day or anything), that means that it's time to break out some seafood recipes, meant for the warmer months of the year. So far, tuna steaks have been my go-to protein for the onset of grilling season. Yes, tuna and I are good friends.

This is hands-down one of my favorite summertime recipes. It's a Paula Deen recipe that's actually healthy, y'all. PS - I could eat the salsa by itself. And I have. And I will again.

Grilled Tuna with Pineapple Salsa [recipe adapted from Paula Deen]
For the Salsa:
-1 cup diced pineapple, preferably fresh
-1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
-3 tablespoons finely chopped scallions (white and light green parts)
-1 lime, juiced
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced

For the Tuna:
-4 (8-ounce) tuna steaks
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-salt
-pepper
-garlic powder

1. In a small bowl, mix all the salsa ingredients together. Cover and let stand at room temperature until ready to serve.

2. Light the grill or preheat the broiler.

3. Coat the tuna steaks with the oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Transfer the steaks to a baking sheet, if broiling, or put them on the grill. Broil or grill the fish until cooked to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side.

4. Transfer to a serving platter and serve topped with the salsa.

No comments: