|Photo by Katie Guymon|
My lovely father visited this weekend with gifts from his home garden: tomatoes, summer squash, and, yup, zucchini. Last night, around 9:45, after grading was complete, I got a wild hair to put those zukes to use. I mashed together the best parts of multiple recipes from the web, and came up with one that suits my lack of an overly sweet tooth. If I took an ad out for potential taste testers, it would include the following four words: Must Love Brown Sugar.
Once the bread was in the oven, I sat down to watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High (dude, the '80s were kind of gross...but I heart them so), and drank some wine. The end.
-3 cups of all purpose flour
-1 cup of sugar
-1 cup of brown sugar
-1 teaspoon of kosher salt
-1 teaspoon of baking soda
-1 teaspoon of baking powder
-1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
-1 teaspoon of nutmeg
-1 cup of vegetable oil
-4 eggs, beaten
-2 cups of grated zucchini, drained (approximately two medium zucchini)
-splash of water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the zucchini, eggs, oil, and water.
3. In a large bowl, place the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk until combined.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until just combined.
5. Spray loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray. Add the batter to 2 standard loaf pans and cook for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Alternatively, bake in four small loaf pans for 45 minutes.