Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rhubarb-Strawberry Lattice Pie

Photo by Katie Guymon

Rhubarb-Strawberry Lattice Pie [recipe from Martha Stewart Living] 
Confession: this was the first pie that I've ever made. If you count buying Pillsbury pie crusts as "making" a pie. Which, considering my attempt at fancy-looking lattice work, I do. But, despite my adventurous nature in the realm of criss cross crusts, I realize that my mine ended up looking more than a little janky. I've got some practice ahead of me before I master the art of the pie crust. But, I promise you that this pie actually tastes delicious. There's more rhubarb than strawberry so it's extra tart, and the addition of orange zest and juice is probably my favorite thing about this recipe.

Also, it's important to know that when I update my Facebook status as "My first ever pie is in the oven," that does not mean that I am with child. Matt got some congratulatory text messages from a friend who confused "pie" with "bun." 

-1 3/4 pounds rhubarb, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (6 cups)
-6 ounces strawberries, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
-1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
-1/4 cup cornstarch
-1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
-1 tablespoon orange juice
-1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
-2 Pillsbury pie crusts
-1 egg
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
-sanding sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Make the filling by mixing the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, zest, juice, and salt.

2. Roll out crust to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Pour in filling; dot top with butter.

3. Roll remaining crust to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into at least fifteen 1/2-inch strips. Lay 8 strips across pie. Fold back every other strip, and lay a horizontal strip across the center of the pie. Unfold folded strips, then fold back remaining strips. Lay another horizontal strip across pie. Repeat folding and unfolding strips to weave a lattice pattern.

4. Trim bottom and top crusts to 1-inch overhang using kitchen shears, and press together to seal around edges. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

5. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle generously with sanding sugar. Bake pie on middle rack, with a foil-lined baking sheet on bottom rack to catch juices, until vigorously bubbling in center and bottom crust is golden, about 1 1/2 hours. (Loosely tent with foil after 1 hour if crust is browning too quickly.) Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool for at least 2 hours (preferably longer) before serving.

No comments: